Read How This Australian Hiker Drags Broken Leg For Two Days Before Help Came.


An Australian Hiker, Neil Parker, 54, who slipped and fell while walking by himself through the bush in Mount Nebo, near Brisbane, broken his wrist and lower leg

Mr Parker however said, his best chance of surviving was to make it to a clearing about two miles (3km) away, so as to be rescued by helicopter, after he has lost his phone and is unable to make any calls

But it wasn’t an easy journey – Mr Parker said, because he had to crawl for two days with “the whole bottom of his leg [hanging] loose” before getting there.

“I’d get about a metre, a metre-and-a-half, each time before I had to stop and take a break,” he told reporters from his hospital bed in Brisbane.

“It was only 3km, but two days to cover 3km, I thought I was never going to get there.

“I had to carry my leg, and legs are very heavy when they’re not connected to anything,” he added.

The hiker, who is an experienced guide with the Brisbane Bushwalkers, said he used his hiking sticks to splint his leg, and survived by eating protein bars and lollipops which had brought with him as snacks.

I had medication. I had painkillers – Panadol and Nurofen in my pack. And I was able to put that to great use when it was needed,” the 54-year-old said.

Neil Parker said he survived eating protein bars and lollipops which had packed as snacks.

“People in the club ask, ‘Why would you carry 10 kilos of equipment every time you go for a walk?’ This is the reason why. It’s good to have it.”

That same club organised a search party for Mr Parker, with a rescue helicopter spotting him in the clearing.

The Brisbane Bushwalkers’ president, Steve Simpson, told Australian media that the region of Mount Nebo that Mr Parker was hiking in required experience and skills. But Neil defended him saying he is an experience hiker and this familiar with the spot.

As soon as word got out that he was found and was alive there was a great feeling of celebration and relief”.

“It was getting very emotional thinking – it’s not a nice way to die, just laying here waiting, waiting,” he said.

Mr Parker’s orthopedic surgeon Nicola Ward told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that he was doing “extremely well”, adding that he faced at least eight weeks of recovery.

Parker was so delighted to be reunited with his family again after the accident.

Credit:sky news.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: